Monday, November 18, 2019

Marvel Legends Iron Man (Mark 7) review

Iron Man has been pretty common in the Marvel Legends line. Whether it's based on the comics or films, you'd expect at least one Iron Man per year. In fact, you can expect nearly 3-4 every year ever since we started to see this character in at least one movie from the MCU since 2015 (one of the reasons to have MCU fatigue). His figures have at least improved over the years in terms of sculpting and articulation, but we mostly work on the newer suits. I did want to get the Civil War and Homecoming versions of Iron Man, but since I never liked those movies, I decided to wait for when the First 10 Years version would come out. Is it worth the wait? Let's find out.



Here we have Iron Man in hand, and I'm quite content with the way the figure turned out overall. The way I have the figure look in these images may not do the proportions that much justice, but it's nowhere near as skinny as what the previous figures were like. You could say that the arms look a bit too thin, though not as thin as they were in the past. The legs I thought looked like they were misshapen, but it turns out that they did look like that on the CG model. Strange detail, though. There are a few paint nicks and the arc reactor isn't perfectly circular or centered, but the rest of the applications don't look terrible.



The helmet looks pretty sharp for the most part, though I don't like how the eyes are handled.  One eye looks pretty well done with the handling of the white lens and the slight use of baby blue to add the gold, but the other eye suffers from having more blue paint than it really should. Also, it makes him look like he's crying. As I mentioned, there are a few paint mistakes, but the rest looks decent.


The articulation is sufficient enough for this design of Iron Man. The neck is double-jointed, with the head looking left and right on the ball joint, and a hinge for looking up and down. The shoulders can move front and back and in and out. There is a bicep swivel, a double-jointed elbow, and both hands can swivel on their peg as well as hinge in and out. The torso has a limited diaphragm joint, which can function the same as the waist swivel and ab crunch. The hips can move front and back as well as in and out. There are thigh swivels, double-jointed knees, and the feet hinge front and back as well as pivot side to side.

He can have his fists swapped for repulsor blasting hands. I like how since Civil War, we started to have two sets of hands instead of one fist and one open hand. I hate it when toys made for collectors are stuck with that because they're BEGGING to have alternate hands.



His only other accessories are the repulsor blast effects. These can plug into the holes and add more context to them, and the use of some nice transparent yellow plastic further adds to the look.



The blast effect pieces can be attached to the bottom of the heels and make them look like they're giving Iron Man the ability to fly. I kind of wish that you had two more to go with the boots, and ones with different sculpting as well as color.



The back has some flaps open up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt that these extremities were shown off prominently in The Avengers. Maybe they did and I haven't paid attention to them, but I swore that they were introduced with the Infinity War suit (which had that Nanotech crap that can't beat the traditional suits of the past). Apparently, this is to aid him with flight combat, which I can sort of see Iron Man need in-universe.



While there are a few things that bug me, I'm happy with how this Iron Man turned out overall. Considering how it was from a series I once loved yet now dislike in recent times, I'm surprised that there's more gone into making the suit feel more complete in figure form, which is something that I don't see with the then-contemporary Infinity War suit. That said, $25 dollars isn't quite worth the price tag of the figure. I'd at least hope there are a few more paint apps and accessories to justify the replacement of a Build-a-Figure part. Rocket boot FX pieces, an unhelmeted Tony Stark head (with the actor likeness Hasbro has been using in recent memory), and maybe a stand with the name etched onto the base would make the figure more worth the money. 




Final ranking: ⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

No comments:

Post a Comment