Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Transformers Studio Series 2020 Waves ranked

Another year passes by, and the Studio Series line makes yet another triumphant lineup of figures. That being said, I kind of feel it's not as cool as the 2018 and 2019 stuff. Not to say that it's a bad toyline overall, but its quality doesn't feel as consistent in 2020 as it did in the other two years. The Deluxes have been hit and miss, and with the Voyagers and Leaders focusing on having some spots saved for Constructicons, it's making me wonder what we'd get later in the line. Either way, I'll just make one ranking list and not make a list for the repaints, as there are very few repaints in this line. Had we gotten more repaints or store-exclusives beyond the Constructicons, it'd be a list I want to make, but it's not as varied a the rest of the exclusives that we have gotten before. That is why Skipjack and WWII Hot Rod are included.


20. Arcee/Chromia/Elita-1: I wanted to like this set. I really do. It was a neat idea for the three-pack to be made since each bike sister is small, but I don't think the quality matches what I'd get from the average Deluxe. The motorcycles look perfect, but the transformations are fiddly, and the robot modes, while accurate, don't really give you much in terms of play value or display options. Maybe some flight stands would help them stand out, but they're not all that great. Then there's the combined mode of the trio, and it's not only lacking but also missing in the instructions! This is the best I can get with displaying the combined mode, and it's just not that satisfying. Also, this won't be the only time you'll find Arcee on the bottom of a toy list made by me!


19. WWII Hot Rod: Wouldn't you believe it! The same Deluxe mold from last year gets placed in a second-to-last spot on a ranking list! What a coincidence? Anyways, even with a new head, chest, gun, and different paint job, Hot Rod's not any better than WWII Bumblebee. Sure, it's cool to own the two brothers-in-arms,  but it's still a reminder that what we have is not a great mold. The backpack issues are still there, the vehicle mode is inaccurate, the legs have the same amount of junk, so it's no surprise that this guy is just as underwhelming as Bumblebee.


18. ROTF Soundwave: The old figure wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but what I liked about it was that it had a unique look to its vehicle modes as well as some variety of colors from the gray with bits of blue and gold here and there. This guy feels pretty dull, and it doesn't help that the silver is on some spots but not on others. Robot mode is also not accurate, but we never saw him in robot mode. The satellite mode, on the other hand, is one goofy-ass attempt at recreating it as the design.  It's much shorter and very inaccurate to how he appeared in the movie. The new head and flight stand are nice additions, but I'm not a fan of this guy. Also, no Ravage. Shake my head...


17. Cliffjumper: How do you go from a good Deluxe like Bumblebee to a mediocre one like Cliffjumper?! I'll get into why Bumblebee is good, but this guy makes me wish he'd be as good as that figure. Like the vehicle mode is perfect to the CGI model in the movie, but the robot mode is let down by all of the kibble that makes up the backpack and the panels on the lower legs. Cliffjumper looks great from the front, albeit with a slight difference in terms of proportions, but the worst part is that he doesn't stand as well thanks to the backpack, but the leg panels don't even tab in properly. I don't think this guy will look any better in yellow, and if we don't get many proper Studio Series figures in the 2021 waves (I ain't counting them 86 movie refugees), then you bet B-127 will rank lower than usual.


16. Topspin: The weakest of the three Wreckers, Topspin has a few things that hold him back. In terms of positives, I like his design as well as the transformation, but what I don't like are some of the missing paint apps for his robot mode and the questionable use of PVC for parts of him. The shoulder pipes are okay since they'd avoid getting broken, and while the claws and guns are at least nicely detailed, they make me raise an eyebrow more. The claws are at least decent even if they could use more paint, but the guns are the worst aspect of the toy. They're far too pliable, and they came warped out of the packaging. WTF. If he had stiffer PVC materials that also came in different colors, it'd be fine, but man does the PVC look like an eyesore compared to the rest of him.


15. Scrapper: This Constructicon is weird as hell in terms of design. While I appreciate the Constructicons abandoning most of the G1 designs, I find this guy looks more like a Moviefied version of the MARS Converter Earthmover, what with the wide hips and weird arms. The toy itself is funky-looking, but while the arms are mostly fine, the legs are kind of awkward to mess around with. Also, you won't get much range out of the knees. Part of me wished he'd have a cooler left hand claw, but hey, maybe he can cosplay as Spongebob if you replace his right hand with a spatula!


14. Shatter: This jet gal is the better version of the character, what with the improved articulation, head sculpt, and the better implementation of her two altmode design cues. She even has some neat compatibility with the WFC weapons! I even like her jet mode in spite of it reminding me of TFP Starscream more than I expected. What pulls her back is the huge amount of kibble on her back. Yes, the wings were there in the CGI model, but they're bigger in this case and make her look a little too much like she's got junk (sadly not in the trunk). That being said, she is at least better than her car version, which was riddled with all kinds of problems.


13. Scavenger: Many would be frustrated at the old Demolishor figure for the PVC treads, smaller size, and arm movement, though it may have to do with people going with the groupthink mentality found from the Plastic Addict. I won't say that the ROTF figure is the worst thing ever, but I won't act like this Leader Class Scavenger is entirely perfect, either. He's bigger than the old toy, but not big enough to look accurate next to Optimus Prime. The plastic tire transformation is pretty ingenious, but I can't help but feel this guy works better when he's with the rest of the team than on his own. Still nice to have, and I know he'll look great in the proper Demolishor colors.


12. Skipjack: Despite being a yellow recolor of Rampage, Skipjack still has all of the things that make him a solid figure. The vehicle mode is still good albeit a little bigger than it should be, the transformation's pretty fun, and the robot mode has the same design carried over from Rampage, including the sweet ratcheting joints in the torso. Pretty much nothing new to say about the guy beyond the fact that he is pretty much Player 2 Rampage, but he at least makes for a more accurate left leg for Devastator.


11. Roadbuster: This guy already does a massive improvement on the DOTM Deluxe by being more faithful to the CG model, what with the armored vehicle mode and the better proportions. Some might argue if whether or not he's a shellformer or not, because the DOTM figure from 2011 had the sort of kibble going on his back, but even if the doors aren't glued on his forearms or the chest being a proper one, I can at least say that he's a lot better-looking than the old figure. Sadly, he just comes with the one minigun that looks better on the shoulder than on the forearm (no chainsaw?!), and the car hood is a little annoying to tab onto the wheels. Beyond that, he's a decent figure nonetheless.


10. Mixmaster: He's certainly easier to transform than the ROTF figure, and while he may not have that weird cannon mode anymore, he replaces that with something far more important: the ability to turn into Devastator's head! Does that make him a Headmaster? Anyways, while his robot mode doesn't have the same sort of accuracy that the old Voyager did, I can at least say that the figure feels easier to handle and also looks nicer. The beige plastic used on a figure like the ROTF Voyager just doesn't look that good, so it's nice to see more consistency. And I love how the figure hides Devastator's head.


9. DOTM Soundwave: This guy makes up for the past version's inability to be released somehow. While he's smaller and lacks the MechTech weapon, he at least has some nice silver paint, a more accurate head sculpt, and a little Laserbeak! I appreciate having this version of Soundwave with me, as I do love his DOTM design as well as his role of being a spy that would eventually hold Carly Spencer hostage and later lead a group of Decepticons within Downtown Chicago. Some stuff could be better, but I am pretty happy with the figure I possess.


8. Overload: This guy is great at the Voyager price tag, but as for paying for him at the Leader price tag...it's not 100% worth it. To his credit, he is great to have after being stuck with the tiny and under-developed Legends figure, his design looks pretty cool, and he finally completes Devastator! Still, he is just a wider Voyager Class figure with heavy ratchet joints used for the robot hips, and the vehicle mode does have some of that bang for your buck, but it doesn't feel as effective as it does with Blackout. Either way, so happy to own him for what a Voyager costs.


7. Leadfoot: My favorite Wrecker, this guy does yet another example of a DOTM character fixing something that Hasbro did as a sin in 2011-2. He's got the Target logo right away, he's much more accurate to the CG model, and while the front of the car could go for breaking up more, I can't deny that the is a great addition to the line if you ask me. So happy to have this guy after said sin involved me not getting a chance to own the figure due to Hasbro canceling the last parts of the DOTM line. He even gets a little Steeljaw! 


6. MV1 Bumblebee: Since I love the Masterpiece figure, I had a feeling that this guy wouldn't quite be as good since it falls short on a few things. Mainly the vehicle mode chest sticking out on the back, the stomach being way further back from the chest, the wheel-arches sticking out more than the doors, and the spine of the toy feeling a little flexible when I bend it slightly. At least the figure as a whole looks good, and I love the paint-apps as well as the accuracy of the CG model. The gun being hand-held is not 100% accurate but it works better for anyone that doesn't want missing pieces. The battle mask even makes him feel unique from past Bumblebees with exposed faces. Sadly, he's not my favorite Bumblebee of this 2020 wave...


5. Offroad Bumblebee: ...because this guy is my favorite Bumblebee figure made in the line overall! Unlike Camaro Bee, who has a Masterpiece figure that is my favorite version of Bee in that design, this guy is my favorite version of the character in the Studio Series line! He has no past MPM counterpart that'd take the cake, so I'm happy to put this guy higher on the list! His CGI model is perfect, and I love the transformation and even the vehicle mode! I'd honestly prefer seeing Bee as a Jeep if we can't have him be a Camaro constantly because the Beetle, while iconic, isn't that practical. He even has ankle pivots to help him pose better! Regardless of my thoughts on the dreaded solo film, I like this toy!


4. Shockwave: I'm fine with him not being the big Shockwave that was supposed to be out in 2011, but I don't think he was worth $55 dollars as Leader Class figures are nowadays. The robot mode is perfect, and the paint apps he received help him look less like a toy and more like a shrunken-down Prime-1 Studios toy. I guess those help justify the price along with the giant cannon and his accessories, which are two decently detailed Wheelie and Brains mini-mini figures and a paratrooper with a parachute to block Shockwave's view. But those aren't really enough to justify his price. Add to the fact that he transforms similarly to the ROTF Megatron figure, which was a concept the DOTM guy has in terms of a similar vehicle mode, but his was more unique as was the transformation. So a nice-looking figure, but with shortcomings that don't make him worth the full retail price.


3. Megatron: Finally, the original design of Megatron is made in the Studio Series line! It's great to see the old alien jet fully-realized in a new figure, and this was before I got the Masterpiece! I like the articulation as well as the silver paint, though I find the mace accessory a little lacking and the missing fusion cannon to be disappointing. Some stuff, like the chunky lower legs and the chest being the same as with the ROTF figure, is not easy to stomach, though at least the looks mostly flow smoothly. Either way, a nice addition to rank my 2007 Decepticons, and this as well as the Masterpiece easily beat both the old Voyager and Leader.


2. Sentinel Prime: Since there was no Optimus Prime made in the 2020 line up of Studio Series figures, his mentor, as well as predecessor, takes the spot instead! If there was one thing I wished Sentinel Prime figures nailed, it's the more majestic look of the guy that presents him as a Transformer of an older time. Even if he turns into a fire truck, he's a character that I'd feel would predate the design Optimus Prime had back in the main trilogy. While the upper torso feels a little blocky and the backpack kind of ugly, this is the best Sentinel Prime figure to-date, and I even find his double-bladed sword being made from the side panels of the truck to be cool though important to keep the vehicle mode complete. Needs a shield and/with-optional rust cannon.


1. Blitzwing: A Voyager Class figure beating any of the Leader Class offerings as the best Transformer of the 2020 wave?! I mean if a niche character like Spinister can win against his lineup, so can Blitzwing! I'll be honest and say that I was surprised that someone like him would actually make it; I thought Shockwave, Megatron, Overload, MV1 Bumblebee, or Leadfoot would get the number 1 spot. Honestly, I am happy that Blitzwing did win the rank; he's a well-made figure with a design that I think better suits him than it does Starscream. I know we'll get plenty of repaints out of this guy, but I'd rather stick with what I have than see an ugly G1 Starscream ruin this perfect toy. I also love the play-value of this guy, as the cannon looks cool but the swappable hands allow you to either prepare him to remove Bee's voicebox but even do crazy things with other toys with similar 5mm posts, and one of the hands has articulated knuckles! What an amazing way to end off the list!


And that FINALLY ranks the Studio Series figures I got in 2020. Certainly feels more complete if you ask me. Now with all that said, I'll be back with not a repaint-ranking list but instead a reflection on 3 years of Studio Series toys. I'll go over my thoughts on each toy for a look back on how they hold up, talk about which ones I'm missing, discuss who's missing, my thoughts on the 86 movie guys taking refuge in the line, and we'll see if I'd do a similar thing again! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment