Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Power Rangers Dino Fury Wave 4 Basic Figure review

I didn't think I'd get them until now. I say that because Dino Fury is about to turn into Cosmic Fury, and I initially didn't want to buy these guys since I was prioritizing Lightning Collection more as Hasbro doesn't seem to want to make and promote more of the mainline. Then I saw both of them at Target and with a $10 gift card, I got them both. Bargain. Now let's see how this wave turns out even if we only have an upgraded Gold Ranger and a once knight now king for Mr. Void.


Let's get the Dino Master Gold Ranger out of the way. He is about the same quality we'd expect from the regular figure on the right. Main differences include his cape as well as his sword, which is the Dino Master Saber. It could use a few more paint apps to make it look nicer. The articulation is the same for both figures, but the Master mode can't move his shoulders outwards due to the cape obstructing it.


The cape on this new Gold Ranger is actually removable, revealing to be the same figure as the normal version apart from the accessory, a paint scratch, and slightly different shade likely from one being newer than the other. I'm not sure if the cape being removable is intentional, but if it was, it makes me want to ask: why can't the sleeves and chest armors be removable as well?! The chest armors found on Red and Blue for the ridable bikes that each came with a villain can only be removed if the heads are popped off, and simply making them halves a la the Green and White armors Tommy had would be great! As for the arms, they could have been snap-on parts to go on any Ranger; and if they couldn't do that, at least have swappable arms to go with any Ranger that has used them the most or is known to use them in the show. I'm fine with the Beast Morphers line having you buy the Red Fury and Beast-X modes because they at least have newly molded parts and weapons, even if the latter had missing paint on top of inferior weapons, but this is kind of stupid. I mean it's cool he's the same toy if you missed out on it, but then again he still has the inaccurate morpher on his left wrist.


Now we go to Void Knight, who comes in-package with his "crown" removed. It's easy to attach it on him, and this guy is pretty cool. He's made of translucent plastic and features slight color accents to break up the clear plastic's white coloring. The sculptwork is also decent for what it is, and I appreciate how it manages to be faithful to the design of the show, I'll admit the chest straps on him remind me of the Beast Morphers suits, to the point where it looks kind of weird on him.


Head sculpt is pretty solid, even if it has the checkerboard patterned heart one assume is carried over from the chess theme of the Ryusoulger villains. I like the eyes and the surrounding black is painted properly. His articulation is the same as the other figures, down to the hips that was initially missing on Boomtower and the rest of the villains in Beast Morphers. He comes with twin swords that can combine into a naginata with a decent tab.


Oh yeah they have keys that are about as functional as the ones we got before. Gold's nothing new from the basic figure, but Void King's looks great from the front because the back is hollow! WHY?! I guess the reverse of the quality can be summed up with how a good figure like Void Knight gets a shitty key and how a weak figure Dino Fury Gold has a decent key.


Overall, these two guys are near to get as two for the price of one, but I can't really say I'm impressed with Gold. He feels frustrating since I really wanted to be happy to own a mode from the show that was neat, yet its (likely unintended) ability to remove the piece makes me wonder why it wasn't the case for the other modes the Rangers use. Void King is cool but I wouldn't go crazy over his key.


Final ranking: ⭐⭐⭐ and a half out of ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

No comments:

Post a Comment