Monday, July 20, 2020

What Do I Love Most From Video Games?

It's finally time to complete the slate of posts for the week with one that relates to the subject matter in question, but in a conclusive matter! We've already taken a look at my history with the video games I played, the ones I love the most as well as the ones that I hate, and the franchises I want to tap into! Let's conclude this week of posts by summing up what I want from video games! It'll be fairly quick since there's not much else to talk about compared to the others.


1. Worthwhile gameplay

I feel most games nowadays tend to rely heavily on the notion of feeling heavily story-driven or having massive worlds where you can move around in. While the former is perfectly fine, it does make both players obsessed with that reject games with simpler plots or make the gameplay feel relatively shallow; the latter works in some instances like the GTA series, but most sandbox games I feel tend to be empty at times. Thankfully, the games that I have tried out aren't afraid to go with making the gameplay enjoyable overall, whatever the genre may be, and however large their story is.

2. The variety of play styles

Collectathons, point A to point B goals, shooting your enemy team, what's not to love about the variations between different gameplay styles? I'm sure some will have a favorite way of playing any video game, but I'm not joking when I say that there's something nice about trying different ways of playing any video game no matter what the theme is, so long as it's functional (of course). While there are others that are harder in general, it's at least best to have tried new gameplay than ignore it.

3. Multiplayer (When Done Right)

Let's be real, local multiplayer seems nonexistent since everyone seemingly refuses to leave their houses as they play online. Sadly, that does mean it's kind of hard to find games that support local multiplayer (or maybe I'm under a rock). Either way, I do want to play with my brother or with a friend if they come over because it was neat to be next to someone and play a game with them (especially if the multiplayer doesn't make things feel sluggish or confusing as hell). All that matters now is waiting for the day Lucas doesn't get too excited when someone's in the house.

4. Learning about new franchises

While I am happy with the video game IPs that I'm already familiar with, I still want to give a shot to the other franchises that might be a little less familiar to me. That being said, it's a long task that will take some time, but I already have a good list of characters worth revisiting. And as previously mentioned, I will take a look at Halo, Duke Nukem as well as Doom, Zelda, Deus Ex, Metroid, Spyro, among others. And one last thing before we move on: don't tell me to try other games when I'm not done yet or else Beast Wars Megatron kills Time Gal!

5. Seeing Fan Games/Mods

Setting aside Nintendo being the only company that wants to kill them all, fan games are a great way of thanking video game companies for making them want to create their own ideas and hope to share their fan games with everyone else. Whether it's skin mods, recreations of existing games, or ones built from scratch, there's nothing better than seeing nothing but blood, sweat, and tears put in fan games, especially if they add new forms of playing as a specific character or giving them a new story. I'd love to make some of my own, too!

And that covers my video game posts. With all that said, I want to thank you all for reading if you have done so since the first post uploaded. I may do at least one more slate like this in the near future, but we'll see. In the meantime, hope you missed my action figure reviews because they're back!

No comments:

Post a Comment